2-46. OPERATION IN SAND OR MUD (CONT)
If vehicle starts to skid:
(1) Release accelerator pedal (5).
(2) Steer in direction of skid until vehicle stops skidding.
(3) Press brake pedal (9) lightly when vehicle is under control.
(4) Press accelerator pedal (5) slowly and steer vehicle on straight course.
k. To park vehicle:
(1) Park vehicle so it does not face into the wind whenever possible.
(2) Clean mud off vehicle as soon as possible (para 3-7).
2-47. OPERATION IN DESERT ENVIRONMENT
FM 90-3 contains detailed instructions for living in desert environment.
a. Principles of operation in extreme heat, extreme dust, and in sand or mud (para 2-43,
2-44, and 2-46) apply to desert environment operation.
b. Temperatures can change as much as 70 F (40 C) between day and night. These
changes can damage equipment if vehicle is not properly prepared.
c. Due to expansion and contraction of fluids and air, care should be taken when filling
fuel tanks and fluid reservoirs to prevent overflow when temperatures change.