Step (13) requires the aid of an assistant.
(13) Install front output shaft (18) in front output housing (14).
(14) Install oil seal (20) in front output housing (14).
Correct bearing preload is attained by
removing increments of shim(s). If bearing
cup bears on rollers, allowing no movement,
disassemble all bearing retention parts.
(15) Install dial indicator on front output housing (14) with
stylus on front output shaft (18).
(16) Adjust dial indicator to read zero.
(17) Apply upward lift sufficient to fully seat front output shaft
Dial indicator reading at this point is preliminary
end play which exists with initial shim pack
thickness of 0.064 in. (1.626 mm).
If reading is not within tolerance, disassemble
front output housing.
Replace shim(s) to
achieve correct end play and perform steps (9)
(18) Measure end play of front output shaft (18). Reading
should be 0.001-0.005 in. (0.025-0.127 mm). Record
d. Follow-On Maintenance.
Assemble transfer case module (22-3).
End of Task.