Washers do not need to be installed when
applying the preload to the bearing cones.
Shims are not installed in differential carrier
housing until a preload is first applied to inner
and outer bearing cones.
(23) Install pinion drive (25) in differential carrier housing (17).
(24) Position bearing cage (29) on differential carrier housing
(17) with eight screws (32).
(25) Install input yoke (33) on pinion drive (25) with self-
locking nut (33).
(26) Tighten self-locking nut (35) to 920-1130 lb-ft (1248-1532
(27) Verify that pinion drive (25) will turn within torque limits
indicated in Table 24-1 Pinion Bearing Preload Chart.
Perform steps (28) through (33) only if torque value
is not within specifications. If torque value is within
specifications go to step (34).
(28) Remove self-locking nut (34) and input yoke (33) from
pinion drive (25).
Table 24-1. Pinion Bearing Preload Chart
PRELOAD TORQUE VALUE
New pinion bearing
10-30 lb-in. (1-3 N·m)
Used pinion bearing
10-20 lb-in. (1-2 N·m)