10-2. REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (CONT)
Rear axle assembly weighs approximately
1580 lbs (717 kgs). Rear axle assembly
must be supported on a transmission/
differential lift during removal. Failure to
comply may result in injury to personnel
or damage to equipment.
Steps (14) through (18) require the aid of an
Left and right side shock absorbers are removed
the same way. Right side shown.
(14) Position transmission/differential lift under rear axle
assembly (3) and secure with chain.
(15) Remove nut (23), two washers (24), and bolt (25) from
shock absorber (26).
Left and right side U-bolts and mounting pads
are removed the same way.
(16) Remove four self-locking nuts (27), washers (28), and
mounting pad (29) from two U-bolts (30). Discard self-
(17) Remove two U-bolts (30) from rear left spring (31).
(18) Remove rear axle assembly (3) from vehicle.
(18.1) Perform steps (14) through (18) on left side of rear axle