d. Bearing Preload Adjustment.
(1) Rotate transfer case housing (1) until transfer case cover
(2) is facing up.
Center idler gear, lower drive gear, and upper
drive gear end play readings are measured the
same way. Perform the following steps to
measure end play for all three gears.
(2) Install dial indicator on transfer case cover (2).
(3) Adjust dial indicator to read zero.
Upward force on bearing collar is required to
obtain end play reading. For lower and upper
drive gear bearings, apply upward force from the
bottom side. For idler gear bearing, a bolt and
large washer are installed in threaded end of
idler gear shaft. Upward force is applied by
lifting up on the washer.
(4) Apply upward force sufficient to fully seat bearing (3).
(5) The dial reading at this point is the preliminary end play
which exists with the shim(s) of 0.076 in. (1.930 mm).
(6) Measure end play of bearing (3). Reading should be
0.001-0.005 in. (0.0254-0.127 mm).