21-12. P4 PLANETARY CARRIER ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (CONT)
Replace any part that fails visual inspection
or size measurement requirements.
(2) Inspect three spindles (1) for scoring, pitting, and wear.
(3) Inspect planetary carrier (2) for scoring, pitting, cracks,
(4) Inspect three thrust washers (3) for scoring, pitting,
cracks, wear, and minimum thickness of 0.057 in. (1.44
(5) Inspect three pinion gears (4) for pitting, corrosion, and
broken gear teeth.
(6) Inspect 54 roller bearings (5) for pitting, corrosion, and
Apply a light coat of grease to inside of
pinion gears to hold roller bearings in place.
(1) Install 18 roller bearings (1) in pinion gear (2).
(2) Position two thrust washers (3), pinion gear (2), spindle
(4), and setscrew (5) in planetary carrier (6).
(3) Tighten setscrew (5) to 180 lb-in. (20 N·m).
(4) Perform steps (1) through (3) on remaining two pinion
(5) Stake three setscrews (5) to planetary carrier (6).
Ensure adequate material has been moved
during staking to prevent loss of setscrew.
Failure to comply may result in damage to
(6) Inspect staking of three setscrews (5).
d. Follow-On Maintenance.
Assemble transfer case (para 22-3).
End of Task.